May 6, 2011

The Ask and the Answer


The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness
(Chaos Walking Trilogy: Book 2)
Published: September 8, 2009 by Candlewick

We were in the square, in the square where I'd run, holding her, carrying her, telling her to stay alive, stay alive till we got safe, till we got to Haven so I could save her - But there weren't no safety, no safety at all, there was just him and his men...Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode... 

       Read my review of the 1st book, The Knife of Never Letting Go, here.

       This book takes all the action of the 1st book and doubles it. If you thought the 1st one was the most epic book you've ever read, take a deep breath and set aside a few hours to read this cover to cover. Trust me, you won't want to stop reading, and you'll probably want to have the 3rd book ready as soon as you finish this one. 

Reasons I love this book:
  • alternating point of view (Todd and Viola)- it's really nice to know what Viola's thinking and feeling after the 1st book (half of which Todd spends wondering if Viola can even talk), and the transitions between the POVs are so smooth you'll barely notice
  • Davy Prentiss- there is so much character development with Davy. I was stunned to find myself rooting for him. After the ending of the 1st book I never thought that would happen. 
  • Mistress Coyle- I wouldn't call her a likable character by any means, but she's someone as determined and stubborn as the Mayor is and she's willing to fight for what she believes in. I definitely don't trust her. 
  • Angharrad (Todd's horse)- almost makes up for Manchee, although I can't at all picture Manchee in the settings and situations in this book

Huh, what?:
  • Spackle 1017- the only Spackle who will stand up to Todd and Davy. I'm guessing we'll see him again as the war starts
  • Todd and Viola on different sides, being manipulated against each other by strong, almost dictator-like aspiring leaders
  • the Mayor- SPOILERS!- Todd had him beaten finally and he let him go! I mean, I wouldn't want to lead an army into war either, but he let the Mayor go! -END SPOILERS-

The boyfriend factor:
  • my boyfriend is hooked on this series- I'm pretty sure he read this one in 3 days, plus he told me I needed to read faster

Is this the end?
  • Ha, read the end of this book and ask me again I dare you! This is definitely not the end- the 3rd book is Monsters of Men and is out now

Favorite quotes:
  • And a body tumbles from the pile, knocking right into me.                                                                   I scoot back fast, rolling over other bodies, scrambling to my feet, wiping my hands on my trousers, wiping the dead away.                                                                                                         And then another body falls.                                                                                                                I look up at the pile.                                                                                                                           1017 is working his way out.                          - Todd  pg. 309
  • I turn away from her to try and think but I'm wrapped so tight in bandages around my middle I can't properly sit up.                                                                                                                             Mistress Coyle runs a couple of fingers across her brow. "And now that you're back," she says, "I'm not at all sure you're going to thank us for the world to which we've returned you."                  -Viola  pg. 73


5 Robots
This book ups the epicness from the 1st one. This is a must-read series!

Acquired: Gift from a friend




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love :D