Jan 31, 2012

Top Ten Book Club Books (Top Ten Tuesday)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click the picture to visit them!

Top Ten Books That Would be Good for Book Clubs
Confession: I'm not big on book clubs. To me, book clubs feel like high school English class. I always felt that the teachers were making stuff up and the poor authors were rolling in their graves laughing when we were informed that the color of the hobo in the background's shoes was a symbol for death. Well, maybe not that detailed, but you get the picture. Here are books I would like to discuss, but not pick apart and overanalyze. 

1. The Nature of Jade - Deb Caletti (2007)
I love this book. I experience panic attacks and anxiety like Jade and I could really relate to that. Plus, it deals with Jade falling for an older guy who is a single dad. It's definitely complex enough to talk about for awhile!


2. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld (2005)
Dystopians are perfect for book clubs. This one is a great choice because we'd all like to think that our governments are always doing what's best for us, but Tally finds out that hers is doing what's best for them.


3. Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babbitt (1975)
This book is a heartbreaker for sure. I read it when I was 12 and 10 years later I have never gotten over it. Would you choose to live forever?


4. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green (2012)
Hazel has cancer. Some days it gets her down, some days she barely thinks about it. From love and 'cancer perks' to trophy bashing and hospital stays, this book is a roller-coaster (that only goes up). 


5. Dreamland - Sarah Dessen (2004)
This book made me want to scream. Sometimes in life people have too much to deal with, so when the person who helps you through starts hurting you, what do you do then? 


6. I Am the Messenger - Markus Zusak (2006)
I was going to choose The Book Thief, but honestly this one got to me more. Ed's journey drives home how sometimes there are horrible things happening so close to us, but we are unaware of them because we are in the invisible bubble that is our own life. 


7. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen (2006)
This book shows how people's perception and judgement can be sickeningly wrong and how that effects someone already dealing with a terrible situation. As Owen says, sometimes we can't think or judge, we just have to listen. (Similar to Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, but I read that one way too long ago to talk about it)


8. Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher (2007)
Often, a suicide leaves people wishing they had answers. This book is full of answers to that burning question: why? but Clay and 12 other people struggle with the weight of knowing those answers. 


9. Chaos Walking trilogy - Patrick Ness (Book 1: 2008)
Todd grows into a man in a world where men are plagued by his town's dark past, and discovers his own morals in the process. The redemption of one character plus the overall complexity of this series is unbelievable and cemented Ness in my mind as one of those authors who could write a dictionary and I would still read it. 


10. Looking For Alaska - John Green (2005)
Life is complicated and messy and confusing. John Green knows how to take life and put it on paper. I love how the sexual situations in this book are not romanticized and steamy, but real and awkward and unsure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love :D