Apr 28, 2011

Entice



Entice by Carrie Jones
Published: December 14,2010 by Bloomsbury USA

Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever. But that's not quite how things have worked out. For starters, well, Nick is dead. Supposedly, he's been taken to a mythic place for warriors known as Valhalla, so Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. But it's taking time, and meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find. But how to get to Valhalla? And even if Zara and her friends discover the way, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't turned into just any pixie. . . She's Astley's queen.

       This is another great book in the Need series, a truly unique series in the YA paranormal trend. One with a strong heroine and a love triangle that I don't really consider to be a love triangle because our heroine Zara knows what she wants from the beginning. I recommend picking up this series if you haven't tried it yet!

Reasons I love this book:
  • Zara- she's so realistic which is especially impressive in a supernatural book. She's afraid of what's happened and what's currently taking place but she's willing to do everything she can to save the people she cares for.
  • it's different- when's the last time you read a book about pixies? Scary pixies, no vampires, no werewolf packs- just one werewolf plus some unique weres (an eagle, a tiger, a bear, oh my!)
  • Astley- alright, so if we're taking sides I've been rooting for Nick since the beginning, but Astley is respectful and honorable towards Zara and that's a big plus for him
  • action- I've always admired authors who aren't afraid to get characters hurt or even killed (except you JK Rowling- I'm still upset over some of those deaths)

Huh, what?:
  • plot?- I don't what it is but it felt to me like something was a little off. I think it may be how all the events flowed within the plot. There were a lot of things going on that were integral to the main plot and they didn't all fit together seamlessly all the time
  • book listing- this is the tiniest detail, but Carrie Jones has written 3 books besides the Need series, so why aren't they listed on the "other books by Carrie Jones" page? I know they aren't paranormal, but I really enjoyed Tips for Having a Gay (Ex-) Boyfriend, and Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape.  I haven't read Girl, Hero though. Plus I've never seen any of these books in the store. So, what's up with that booksellers? 

Is this the end?:
  • It sounds like this is the book in the series, but there are also some things that could point to more so I'm really not sure

Favorite Quotes:
  • "Oh, flying on a plane is a totally normal fear. That's called aerophobia, aviatophobia, aviophobia, or pteromechanophobia."                                                                                                 He laughs. "What is one supposed to do when faced with aerophobia, aviatophobia, aviophobia, or pteromechanophobia?"                                                                                                                 "Do not mock my excessive knowledge of phobias," I kid and punch him in the arm.                          - Zara and Astley  pg. 61
  • The glamour is gone. He is in full pixie mode, all blue skin and teeth, eyes that glint. I shudder even though I know that this is how I look too- like a monster. But it's more than that. He feels like a monster, like some horrible, primal, lethal pixie king instead of the usual calm, slightly troubled Astley.                  - pg. 172


4 Robots
Another great book in the Need series by a talented (and under-appreciated in my opinion) author


Acquired: Bought

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love the need series and Carrie Jones writing is just great. Zara and Astley = Perfect. Thanks for sharing a great book review, I cant wait for book 4 to be released, on goodreads web site it sayz in 2012 it will be released :'( Awesome blog as well, I'm a new follower.

    Natasha @ Paranormal Goddess Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love :D