Apr 2, 2011

The Knife of Never Letting Go


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
(Chaos Walking Trilogy: Book 1)
Published: September 9, 2008 by Candlewick

Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.
But Prentisstown isn’t like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else’s thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.
Or are there?
Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.
Which is impossible.
Prentisstown has been lying to him.
And now he’s going to have to run ...

       This is one of those books that I've seen around book blogs and was vaguely aware of, but it kinda got buried under all the new books out there. Then I made a swap.com account with all the books that I'd read and thought "well, this book is okay but I'm never gonna read it again and don't know anyone who would love it." I put this book on my want list and it was the first book I swapped for and I'm so glad I read it. This book is the very definition of epic. If you like dystopian even a tiny bit, read this book!

Reasons I love this book:
  • Manchee- from the 1st page (as you'll see in my fave quotes) I knew I was going to love Manchee and he didn't let me down
  • Plot- the Noise, Todd being the only remaining Prentisstown boy, the impossibility of he and Viola's situation- everything comes together so well
  • Aaron- SPOILERS!- I have never read about a villain I hated more, and that goes far with me. If an author can make me care that much it's awesome, even if it is a villain
  • writing- the way Todd speaks and thinks is written like he would spell it. It's kinda like how when Hagrid talks except way easier to figure out what he's saying (seriously, when I was 10 and reading Harry Potter I had a hard time understanding Hagrid)                   
Huh, what?:
  • Manchee (again)- SPOILERS!- Whyyyy? I cried. This has only ever happened once before, over Dobby.
  • Aaron (again)- why won't this man just die already? Who is capable of being that stubborn?
  • the ending- agh! After all that Todd and Viola went through to get where are....it's just agh. I know there's a sequel but it makes me want to scream
The boyfriend factor:
  • as soon as I finished this book I gave it to my boyfriend and he's loving it. He's almost done with it. He doesn't enjoy the writing in Todd's spelling though.

Is this the end?:
  • No, and thankfully the whole trilogy is out because I'd never be able to stand the wait. I bought the 3rd book at a local Borders (going out of business) when I was only about a 3rd of the way through this book. Now all I need is the 2nd book, like now
Favorite quotes:
  • The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say. About anything.  "Need a poo, Todd."      "Shut up, Manchee."      "Poo. Poo, Todd."     "I said shut it."        pg. 1                (This is the 1st line of the book. How could you not be dying to read the rest after this? Best 1st line I've ever read.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  • We can't ask anyone for help. Even if we got it, the army's coming, ain't it? We should warn them but what if they're Matthew Lyles rather than Hildys? And what if by warning them we draw the army right to them cuz then we're in everyone's Noise?                  pg.234


5 robots
This book is epic and I'm dying to get my hands on the 2nd one as soon as I can.

Acquired: swapped for (swap.com)


2 comments:

  1. been meaning to try this one. glad to see another good review for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy this book eventually, but I found it very hard hard to get into at the beginning. I am still trying to decide if I want to continue on with the series. The cliff hanger ending has me anxious to know what will happen next. I did love Manchee--he was great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love :D