Dec 8, 2011

Top Ten Childhood Favorites


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click the picture to visit them!

Top Ten Childhood Favorites
I'm choosing to define 'childhood' as birth to 10 years old. So I can talk about picture books and chapter books! These are books I hope little kids are still reading.

1. Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (1st pub: 1938)
I don't really remember why, but I always loved this one. The illustrations are so beautiful and unique, plus it involves some cheeky monkeys. What more could a kid want in a book?


2. Corduroy by Don Freeman (1st pub: 1976)
Corduroy Bear! He just wants his button back. And he's adorable while searching everywhere he can for it.


3. Just For You by Mercer Mayer (1st pub: 1975)
I'm not sure what the Little Critter actually is, but he's so cute. This is the 1st book he's in and I can only remember the scene where he's trying to wash dishes for his mom but keeps dropping them on accident.


4. The Berenstain Bears And Too Much Junk Food by Stan and Jan Berenstain (1st pub: 1985)
The Berenstain Bears have been around since 1962. This is the book that most applied to me when I was younger, and the one about messy rooms. Brother Bear and Sister Bear were a lot like me and my brother, close in age and always fighting.


5. Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathman (1st pub: 1995)
Officer Buckle is one of those cops that goes to schools to talk about safety. But he's boring. Gloria is the dog that livens things up.

6. Cinderella Penguin by Janet Perlman (1st pub: 1995)
This is exactly how it sounds. The story of Cinderella with all humans replaced by penguins. I love the illustrations in this one :) 


7. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1st pub: 1997)
If you've seen the movie I really hope you've read the book. If you've read the book I wouldn't bother seeing the movie which turns this great fantasy book into a comedy. Plus you have to deal with seeing Westley from Princess Bride be all old :(



8. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1st pub: 1932)
Remember Accelerated Reader anyone? I read all of these for AR.


9. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keen (1st pub: 1930)
I loooove Nancy Drew. I don't know how many of these books I read but they are all amazing. I wrote a post about how thankful I am for Nancy Drew. Read it here.


10. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (1st pub: 1961)
I was so enthralled in this book each time I read it. Soup that makes you hungrier, a dog who's clock only tocks. This book is awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love :D