Apr 21, 2011

If I Stay



If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Published: April 2,2009 by Dutton Juvenile

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

       So this isn't a rave review, but I was pleasantly surprised that this book lives up to all those positive reviews. It's worth a read, plus it's a nice break from the paranormal, even though it does have some extra elements to it. 

Reasons I love this book:
  • writing- the way the story is told is the perfect balance of present time and flashbacks. This book feels as though each word is necessary and important to the story.
  • Mia- it's easy to relate to Mia with all the pressure she's under- that unique pressure of choosing a college, wondering if you should factor a boy into that choice or pursue your dream school no matter what
  • Mia's grandpa- for some reason I liked him the most out of everyone Mia describes in her family and her friends. Some of the moments I found most touching were when her grandpa was speaking to her in the hospital.

Huh, what?:
  • ending- I honestly can't decide whether this is a negative or a positive. The ending is so ambiguous- what happened? Did she stay or did she go? I think I liked deciding for myself, but I'm not sure. Or did I misread what it tells us? (Except now there's a sequel which cements her decision for us)
  • new cover- I know, this isn't even about the book really, but I did like the old cover more and which they'd designed the sequel cover to match the original rather than the paperback
  • Adam- I don't hate Adam, I just don't really understand the initial attraction between he and Mia, but I love him in the present time when he's so determined to see her

Is this the end?:
  • No. The sequel, Where She Went was released April 5th and is from Adam's point of view

Favorite Quotes:
  • "At my funeral no one is allowed to wear black. And for music, I want something poppy and old-school, like Mr. T Experience."         - Henry, pg. 171
  • I have a feeling that once you live through something like this, you become a little bit invincible.      I know that makes me a bit of a hypocrite. If that's the case, shouldn't I stay?     - Mia, pg. 218


4 robots

This book lives up to the attention and hype it gets and is definitely recommended.

Acquired: Traded for on swap.com



1 comment:

  1. I love ambiguous endings (and other ambiguous moments too). What's funny is that I was so sure that I knew how it ended (i.e. if she stays) and then my friend told me that she was sure it was the opposite - I was surprised that anyone would read it in a different way.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love :D