Oct 7, 2011

As You Wish


As You Wish by Jackson Pearce
Published: August 25, 2009 by HarperTeen


Ever since Viola's boyfriend broke up with her, she has spent her days silently wishing-to have someone love her again and, more importantly, to belong again-until one day she inadvertently summons a young genie out of his world and into her own. He will remain until she makes three wishes. 
Jinn is anxious to return home, but Viola is terrified of wishing, afraid she will not wish for the right thing, the thing that will make her truly happy. As the two spend time together, the lines between master and servant begin to blur, and soon Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola. But it's only after Viola makes her first wish that she realizes she's in love with Jinn as well...and that if she wishes twice more, he will disappear from her life-and her world-forever.


       I didn't pay any attention to this book when it came out- it seemed cute but I wasn't at the top of my wish list. Then I read Sisters Red and wanted to read more by Jackson Pearce. I loved both of her books, but they couldn't be any more different. As You Wish is a sweet almost contemporary love story while Sisters Red is more of a fairytale world with tons of action. This book is a fast read with great characters and just enough of a twist to suck you into the story.

Why I love this book:
  • plot - The story is so unique and unpredictable. There were a couple times where I thought I knew how everything would get resolved, but I was wrong and left wondering what other way there possibly was to keep Viola and Jinn together. I was very happy that the plot isn't wrapped up in any of the more obvious ways I thought of. 
  • Lawrence - Even though Viola takes him for granted, Lawrence is a faithful friend to her- even when she unfairly blames him for her unhappiness. He sticks with her and does whatever he can to make her happier.
  • Jinn and Viola - This is such a sweet romance. Viola is intrigued by Jinn and Jinn just can't help but wonder why she so stubbornly refuses to wish when there is so much that she wants. Viola makes Jinn question why he wants to go home, something he wanted so badly, and Jinn makes Viola question why she wanted to fit in so much that she would change herself.
Huh, what?:
  • Viola - I realize that Viola wanting so much to belong is very important to the story, but she just wants it a bit too much. She's at first always feeling sorry for herself and saying how alone she is even though Lawrence is always there for her. Once she gets involved with a guy and feeling that she belongs, she is willing to ignore the fact that she's not being herself anymore. At the same time, Viola is a very realistic high school girl when she snaps out of her pity party.
  • timing - Everything in this book happens fast- in a matter of days. I just wish there had been a little more down time for Viola and Jinn to get to know each other, although I can see how that's now necessary because Jinn barely has a life of his own.
Favorite quotes:
  • She needs me. Me, not wishes, not a wish granter. Just me, just Jinn. No one else has ever needed me, not like this. No one in Caliban needs anyone else. How could we need one another there, when we aren't even individual enough to have names?     - Jinn  pg. 78
  • "And what do you think of me as?" Viola asks delicately. Tell her. But do I even know how? I don't think I have the words to use. "I...you're...my friend," I say. Moron.      - Viola & Jinn  pg.196

4 robots
A short and sweet love story full of originality


Acquired: swapped for on swap.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love :D