Jan 13, 2012

Bass Ackwards and Belly Up (New Adult Challenge)


Bass Ackwards and Belly Up by Elizabeth Craft, Sarah Fain
Published: April 1, 2007 by Poppy

Harper Waddle, Sophie Bushell, and Kate Foster are about to commit the ultimate suburban sin - bailing on college to each pursue their dreams: write the next Great American Novel, make it as a Hollywood, and backpack around the world. Middlebury-bound Becca Winsberg is convinced her friends have gone insane...until they remind her she just might have a dream of her own. So what if their lives are bass ackwards and belly up? They'll always have each other.

      This is a book in the same style as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but more predictable. The girls are older and their plots aren't as interesting as the Pants books, but this was still a pretty enjoyable read. There is a sequel that I will probably read as well. 

Reasons I love this book:
  • Harper - Harper is the Tibby of this book. She's the girl that stays at home. Harper, despite being the cause of the girls' college rebellion, struggles with her book writing endeavor and feels like her dream pales in comparison to what her friends are off doing. Honestly, between her job, living arrangement, and sleeping habits, Harper felt the most like a college student to me, even though she wasn't in college. And I usually don't like plots where the character crushes on a teacher, but this one was interesting because Harper's no longer his student in this situation.
  • Becca - It felt like everything went wrong for Becca even though she's the only one who did the expected thing by going to school, which is probably why she was easy to identity with. Everyone's had that feeling of 'what did I do to deserve this?' 
  • ending - Even though I thought much of this book was predictable, I was pleased that everything wasn't all wrapped up with a happily ever after. There is a sequel and I want to see where this story goes because at times it felt like I was waiting for the real story to begin.
Huh, what?:
  • Sophie's story - I don't have a problem with Sophie herself really, it's just that her plot was something I've seen dealt with so often in movies and TV shows. It's just completely predictable. From the guy she should be with vs. the Hollywood jerk she is with to the struggling to find work actress, there's nothing new here.
  • Kate's love interest - I understand that there's not much time to develop each girl's love story when each girl only gets 1/4 of the book, but Kate's was too quick for my taste. Sure, there are people who you meet and instantly click with, but this guy is literally one of the only people Kate's shown talking to at all during her trip. 
  • plot development - This book has been called The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for college-aged readers. I would say the comparison stops at 4 friends being apart on different journeys in life. This book left me wanting each girl's story to be so much deeper and more developed. I feel this could have been accomplished, especially between 2 authors.
Favorite quotes:
  • There was something about a seventeen-year-old high school graduate sleeping on Harry Potter sheets that lacked dignity. In fact, created a vacuum of dignity. Nonetheless, Harper had spent an intimate night with Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the grungy, half-finished basement she now called home.                    - pg. 57  (I totally disagree with this statement, but it was funny!)
  • Kate leaned her elbows on the counter and smiled. "Let me explain. I have to stomp on some grapes. Today. It's very important. Any grapes will do." The clerk opened and closed his mouth, unsure how to proceed. Then he held his finger up, seeming to have an idea. He searched behind the counter, found a calendar, flipped through it quickly. Revelation spread across his face. "This is...American Thanksgiving tradition?"       - pg. 260 - 261
3 Robots
Despite the predictability this is a good read and I want to read the sequel.



Acquired: swapped for on swap.com

1 comment:

  1. Yay, a review for the New Adult challenge! :D

    Sorry to hear this book didn't wow you, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it somewhat. I hope you find, if you decide to read it, that the sequel does a better job of fleshing out each of these characters and their stories! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love :D