Nov 15, 2011

Unread Books On My Shelf (Top Ten Tuesday)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click the picture to visit them!

Top Ten Books On My Shelf That Have Been There the Longest But I Haven't Read Yet
I don't actually have very many unread books on my shelf. In fact I only have 2. Confession: I don't plan on reading either of them. So I'll show you those 2 and then the books on my to-read pile.


1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
This is a book that my aunt gave me as a gift. She gave me The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon at the same time and I really liked that one, but 2 pages of this book is like a chore. I know a lot of people have loved it though.

2. The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
I remembered the reading list wrong for my English class and bought this instead of Heart of Darkness (How did I get those 2 titles mixed up?) by Joseph Conrad. Plus this is the one where the dude turns into a cockroach and I am not a fan of cockroaches, unless it is the cute Twinkie-loving cockroach from Wall-e. 

On my to-read pile:

3. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
Let's take Mulan and mix in even more butt-kicking. Maybe a touch of Graceling by Kristen Cashore? I don't know because I haven't read it, but it sounds awesome!

4. Entwined by Heather Dixon
This is based on The 12 Dancing Princesses story, and while I'm sure the book I loved as a little girl is most likely pretty far from the original Brothers Grimm story, I still love it. So a YA book based on that story sound amazing and suspenseful. 

This is my favorite! Click here to see more.

5. Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon
Why is it that any brick and mortar bookstore I go into never has this book for sale? And why has the beautiful cover above been replaced by a generic girl-with-her-head-cut-off picture where you can't even tell she's Asian? These things bother me. Also, Cindy Pon makes beautiful traditional Chinese brush art. 

6. The Game of Triumphs by Laura Powell
I'm gonna be totally shallow here: THAT COVER! So simple but the ornate bits are awesome too. I have no more words. Plus this book sounds like something new and different in YA so I'm very excited to read it. 

7. Death by Latte by Linda Gerber
Another cute and graphically simple cover. I swear cute covers aren't the only reason I choose the books I read! I bought a combo book of this and the 1st and 3rd books in the Death by series for $5 at Ross and the 1st book, Death by Bikini, was great. It's the perfect balance of light-hearted and suspenseful mystery. 

8. The Six Rules of Maybe by Deb Caletti
Deb Caletti's books have been wonderful surprises for me. I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary because I don't enjoy most of the contemporary plots in YA. But Deb Caletti's books are like Sarah Dessen books for me. They have the right balance of everything and I love them.


9. Red: A Play by John Logan
This is a play about the artist Mark Rothko. My brother is very VERY into plays and musicals and reading screenplays. He wants me to read this one because I'm an art student and he likes Rothko. He also likes Pollock and sat through that movie with me when I had to watch it for class. Pollock was apparently a huge jerk. He also gave me the Inception screenplay because I love that movie and I have to say that after reading through it I actually understand what happened in the movie a lot better now.

And a book that's not on my shelf yet that I really want to read:
10. So Silver Bright by Lisa Mantchev
Because Bertie is awesome beyond belief and this series deserves more buzz around the blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love :D