Sep 17, 2011

Nevermore


Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
(Book 1 of the Nevermore Trilogy)
Published: August 31, 2010 by Atheneum Books


(2nd book Enshadowed is scheduled for January)


Cheerleader Isobel Lanely is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due-so unfair-on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he'd rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can't help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.


Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.


As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.


His life depends on it.


       I have been reading some great reviews of this book, and while I wasn't so interested in reading about a cheerleader and goth relationship, the added Poe element was intriguing, so I picked this one up at Borders the last time I went. Ever. :( This book is packed full of suspense and romance, a great paranormal/fantasy book that doesn't fall into all of the overdone paranormal cliches. I can't do this book justice with my review. It was so enthralling that when I was skimming through it for quotes I would end up reading a couple pages again.


Reasons I love this book:
  • Isobel- this is the kind of strong heroine that is so missing in paranormal YA right now. She is so much more interesting and stronger than another Isabella you may know.  Isobel is confident and stands up for herself, she's relatable and genuine. Plus she ditches her jerk friends, which is a major plus in my book.
  • Varen- Varen is great- he's a goth loner but as soon as we're allowed to see more of him it's clear that he is caring and respectful, just a little Poe obsessed
  • plot- the premise of this book is genius. I won't detail it to make sure I don't spoil it, but if the summary catches your attention you will love this book. Plus there is no love at 1st sight. This is a slowly building romance and it's wonderful that way
  • Poe- the way the author has entwined Edgar Allan Poe and his stories into the plot is awesome- the world of Poe never becomes an afterthought and has so much to do with the story
Huh, what?:
  • ending- going in I thought this was a standalone book, which it easily could have been. It's much longer than most other YA books at over 500 pages, and it was heading toward what I thought could have been an ending, and instead bam! cliffhanger. 
  • Brad- I know a good story has to have more than 2 characters, but Isobel's "friends" were so stereotypically popular and rude. Once she ditched them I was looking forward to not having to read about them, but they kept coming up.
  • Pinfeathers- Pinfeathers is extremely interesting, especially towards the end of the book and I definitely want to see more of him, but if this turns into a love triangle I will not be ok with that. There really isn't anything to suggest that he would be a love interest, but I've been reading so many paranormal books lately and the love triangle is something they all have. I don't want this one to be like that. 
Favorite Quotes:
  • She turned to find Varen standing with his back against the wall, her own stunned expression reflected in the pair of sleek sunglasses he wore.  "Jeez, you scared me" was all she could manage while trying to kick-start her breathing again. "I've been told I have that effect," he said in that deadpan way of his.     - pg.  217-218
  • The clock's pendulum sliced through the air like a scythe, reaping the seconds. With each pass, its ornately engraved silver surface flashed a mottled version of Isobel's reflection. The pendulum passed again, revealing in the circle of silver a white face of an empty-eyed figure, one which now stood behind Isobel.      - pg.  418-419 


5 robots
This is a great book, mixing contemporary with fantasy and you should read it because there are few books like this out there.

Acquired: Bought 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love :D